Open letter from MP Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Children and Families
Vicky Ford, MP Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Children and Families, has asked us to circulate her open letter to children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), their parents/carers and families, and all others who support them.
The letter covers the government’s recent announcements and guidance about meeting the needs of children and young people with SEND during this challenging time.
We would like to add a local message of support for children and families in South Gloucestershire:
Parents and carers are telling us directly and through South Glos Parents and Carers that they understandably feel unprepared and overwhelmed at this time.
We recognise that your role in this unprecedented time is to reassure your child as best you can and to support their wellbeing.
All families need to find their own routine and to not feel under pressure to ‘home school’. We are working quickly with our partners to set up different ways to help you. This will include resources to support you and your child to learn at home. But most importantly, we want to support you to help your child feel safe and do fun things at home that are good for their wellbeing.
Your child’s and your family’s wellbeing is our top priority and we are in the process of setting up a dedicated SEND phone and email enquiry line for parents and carers of children with SEND to feed in queries in relation to the current emergency situation. Queries will cover education, health and social care. We will update you on this as soon as it’s in place, which will be very soon.
In the meantime:
- Continue to contact us via the 0-25 Education Service (duty line): 01454 865137
- South Glos Parents and Carers - not for profit CIC have created a range of resources and links to help you at www.sglospc.org.uk/resources
- Supportive Parents, the local SENDIAS service, offer free, impartial and confidential information, advice and support to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their parents/carers
- Integra Schools and South Gloucestershire Council are developing their resources to support home learning https://www.integra.co.uk/home-learning/ to include helpful resources for you
- Check out the SEND local offer here: www.southglos.gov.uk/SENDlocaloffer