Housing options for over 55s

If you feel you can no longer stay in your home or would like to move to improve your lifestyle there are housing options across South Gloucestershire designed specifically for people over the age of 55.

Page contents:

Sheltered and retirement housing

Sheltered housing provides rented homes for people over the age of 55 who want to live independently but would benefit from some support or additional services on site.

The type of accommodation available varies depending upon the particular housing scheme but usually consists of flats or bungalows.

Most sheltered housing for rent is provided by housing associations, who work with the council for applications and to fill vacancies.  

If you are interested in renting a sheltered housing property managed by a Housing Association, you should register with our HomeChoice service.  

The support available in sheltered housing varies but can include:

  • 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system
  • communal areas, such as laundries, gardens or lounges
  • social activities for residents

For sheltered housing enquiries contact Bromford housing association (formerly Merlin).

Retirement housing is similar to sheltered housing but built for sale, usually on a leasehold basis in England. Most retirement housing is provided by private sector specialist.

To find out more about retirement housing search the Elderly Accommodation Council website Housingcare.org.

ExtraCare housing

ExtraCare housing offers purpose built homes for those over the age of 55 who have care and support needs. The scheme offers private and secure accommodation with care staff on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

A special feature of ExtraCare housing is the extensive range of communal facilities designed to help maintain and improve health and wellbeing.  All the schemes have a restaurant on site providing at least one meal a day.

ExtraCare housing is for people over the age of 55 who:

  • may need to leave their home because of life changes or health problems
  • have received a care assessment and have an identified need for care
  • want to stay in control of their life

The following types of ExtraCare housing are available:

Home for rent -  where you pay rent and have a tenancy agreement. Homes provided by housing associations charge rents usually regarded as 'affordable'. Depending on your income you may qualify for housing benefit to pay your rent. ExtraCare housing properties for rent are available at the following locations:

Badminton Gardens, Downend. Email: samantha.williams@anchor.org.uk

Cambrian Green Court, Yate. Email: kyra.hopkins@housing21.co.uk

Falcon Court, Kingswood. Email: lisa.vyner@housing21.org.uk

Springfields, Filton. Email: dee.griffiths@livewest.co.uk

Nutfield House, Filton. Email: kayleigh.coles@bromford.co.uk

Stoke Gifford Retirement Village, Stoke Gifford. Email: simon.harding@extracare.org.uk

Edward Jenner Court, Lyde Green. Email:  Kelly.Hemmings@housing21.org.uk

Leasehold sales - where you buy your home on a 100% leasehold basis.

Shared ownership - If you are not in a position to buy outright, an option is to part buy, part rent your home. This means that you buy some equity in your home up to 95% and pay rent on the remainder.

ExtraCare housing for sale or via shared ownership are available through housing associations at the following locations:

Cambrian Green Court, Yate

Email: kyra.hopkins@housing21.co.uk

Stoke Gifford Retirement Village

Email: simon.harding@extracare.org.uk

How to apply for rented sheltered or ExtraCare housing

When applying for rented sheltered or ExtraCare housing some criteria applies. You must be:

  • over 55 years of age
  • a South Gloucestershire resident, or have a local connection to South Gloucestershire
  • have an assessed care and support need that meets the council’s current criteria, which is in line with national eligibility criteria.  If you would like an adult care assessment please contact our adult duty desk on 01454 868007. This criteria applies to ExtraCare housing only.

You can start your application via HomeChoice where you will also be able to complete the Housing Options Wizard to see what type of properties you are eligible for.

Further Information on retirement housing

Further information on sheltered housing and other accommodation options for older people, including information on buying a retirement home, is available through Age UK South Gloucestershire.

Further detail and contact numbers for individual schemes are available in the South Gloucestershire ExtraCare magazine. You can get a paper copy of the magazine from Council One Stop Shops and libraries.