No longer safe to stay at home

If you no longer feel safe living in your home, there are support services that can help you feel safe again or other housing options should you decide to move. 

Page contents:

Helping yourself to stay living in your home 

It can be useful to make a list of the things that make you feel unsafe living in your home.  You may be having falls, have mobility problems or are experiencing difficulties in completing your personal care.  Changes to your eyesight may mean you no longer see as well as you did.  

There are many aids on the market that can help you with tasks in the home such as: 

  • perching stools 
  • bathing aids 
  • kitchen gadgets to make meal preparation easier 
  • walking aids 

The Disabled Living Foundation  is a national charity that provides impartial advice and information on living by yourself.  You can find a range of fact sheets covering aspects of living at home safely and information on equipment on their website. 

If you have fallen at home, you can ask your GP to arrange a visit from the Sirona Care and Health falls service who can advise on measures you can take to minimise the risk of falls.  

A pendant alarm allows you to call for help if you experience a fall or are taken ill. You can purchase a pendant alarm from high street retailers or from the council.  Read our article on Assistive Technology for more information on pendant alarms. 

If you have not had your eyes tested for a while, you may benefit from an eye test with your local opticians to check your eyesight and also eye health.  Some opticians also provide hearing checks.  If you can’t get to the opticians yourself, some offer a mobile service.  You can search for a local optician on Wellaware or by searching the internet.

If you feel you would like some help with deciding on equipment to use at home, you can contact the council’s Occupational Therapy service (OT) on 01454 868007.  OT staff can show you equipment to help make daily living tasks such as bathing and climbing the stairs easier. They can also discuss adaptations to your home such as a walk in shower. 

Homecare can allow you to stay living in your own home for longer as you will have support to carry out everyday tasks.  If you would like support in finding a home care provider, contact the Adult Care duty desk on 01454 868007 to arrange for a social worker to get in touch. 

Moving home 

If moving home seems the best option for you and you own your own home, you could consider downsizing by selling your home and moving to a smaller property that would be easier to manage. You can get help to sell your home by using an Estate Agent who can manage the sale for you.  You can find an estate agent by looking in your local newspaper and online, or by driving or walking around your area to see which agents are marketing other flats and houses in your neighbourhood. Also speak to friends, family members and neighbours to see if they can recommend an estate agent.  
Sheltered housing is another option and these properties are available to rent from a housing association. To register for sheltered housing you need to complete an application to join the council’s Home Choice register.  Your application will be assessed by the Home Choice team and they will advise you of your registration number and eligibility grade.  You can then view sheltered properties online that are on the Home Choice register and bid for any properties you are interested in. The council also have  Extra Care housing which is sheltered housing with on site care.  Eligibility for Extra care housing is via a Care Assessment.  Please contact the Adult Duty desk on       01454 868007 to arrange an assessment.

Other housing options 

If living in your home is no longer an option and other housing solutions are not suitable, moving into a residential setting could be the answer. 

A residential settings can be either in a residential care home, where personal care and meals are provided, or in a nursing home where additional nursing care is also available.  

The article Finding a care home gives information on how to find a residential setting and support that is available to help you. 

Further information

If you are worried that you or somebody else may be being harmed or is at risk of harm, read the article What to do if you are concerned about someone else's safety.