Home care

If you find personal care or practical daily tasks such as domestic chores difficult because of illness or mobility issues, home care can help.

Home care can also help you increase your level of independence with everyday tasks at home meaning that you can eventually do these tasks by yourself.

Page contents:

How to help yourself

If you find it difficult to manage at home, you may find it helpful to make a list of tasks that you need help with and why you are unable to do them by yourself.

You can then consider purchasing home care privately by contacting a suitable provider. You can find information on homecare providers on the Care Quality Commission’s website or discuss the possibility of receiving help from friends or family members.

If you no longer feel confident preparing meals, you could have a hot meal delivered by the community meals service, or you may wish to buy frozen ready meals and have them delivered.  The meals can then be heated in an oven or microwave information on meals in your community and shopping independently.

The Disabled Living Foundation is a charity that provides impartial advice and information for living independently and also details of equipment to help make everyday tasks easier.    By using certain equipment to help you with a task that you would normally find difficult can help you to regain your independence.

Equipment and adaptations

South Gloucestershire Council’s occupational therapy service can work with you to advise on how to carry out daily activities at home as safely and as independently as possible.  You can arrange for an occupational therapy assessment by contacting South Gloucestershire Council’s Adult Care Customer Service desk on 01454 868007 or by email CSOdesk@southglos.gov.uk

Occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants can help you find easier ways of doing certain tasks and provide equipment specially designed to tackle practical problems.  They may also suggest certain adaptations to your home.

Assistive technology

Assistive technology refers to devices or systems that support a person to maintain or improve their independence, safety and wellbeing.  This can range from basic devices to environmental controls giving you access to all electrical devices within the home.  Read our article on Assistive Technology.

If you feel you need further help

If you do not feel confident with finding help for yourself, you can arrange for a social worker to visit you to discuss your care needs. They can advise if you would be entitled to help from the council.  You can arrange for a social work assessment by contacting South Gloucestershire Council’s adult care customer service desk by email CSOdesk@southglos.gov.uk  or by phone 01454 868007.

Support is based on your eligibility via the Care Act and the criteria based on meeting your needs

If you are eligible for support from the council, a social worker can create a Care Plan for you outlining the type of tasks you need help with.

Cost of home care

If you have savings over £23,250, you will be expected to pay for any care costs yourself.  South Gloucestershire Council’s finance and benefits team can provide an idea of how much your care costs could be,  telephone 01454 864269 or email FABTEAM@southglos.gov.uk  

If you are eligible, government benefit Attendance Allowance could help towards the cost of your care.  Find out more at GOV.UK.

Other support in your home

If you find it difficult to maintain your home or garden, the council’s Handy Van service can help with minor home maintenance tasks. They can also provide some help in the garden.  Contact the Handy Van service on 01454 863857.

You can also look for support from companies who provide home help, gardening and house maintenance services.  Age UK can help you to do this or you could ask family or friends for recommendations of companies who could help.  Local shops and libraries may also have adverts for companies that offer these services. 

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.