Thriving at work South Gloucestershire
Thriving at work South Gloucestershire aims to provide resources, information and support to local employers to help develop working cultures that support staff and challenge the stigma around mental health and emotional wellbeing.
What is available for local employers?
- free workforce development training promoting positive mental health and emotional wellbeing (email email@example.com for more information)
- free wellbeing courses for staff
- free support to complete the Time to Change pledge (more than 800 employers across England have signed the pledge so far)
- free membership of a quarterly mental health and emotional wellbeing e-bulletin - to sign up just email firstname.lastname@example.org
- support for staff receiving in-work benefits with career development with Future Bright
- information and support for staff who are also carers including a downloadable document as well as contact information for the Carers Support Centre
- free downloadable resources (available in the downloads section of this page)
- links to useful websites and online resources (on the right of this page)
- free electronic staff survey available before and after being involved with Thriving at Work South Gloucestershire. Provides anonymous data to help you understand the issues affecting the mental health and emotional wellbeing of your staff
- free bespoke training sessions in the work place to support workforce development and staff wellbeing provided by Community learning and skills service. To make contact with a staff member who can arrange sessions to suit your work place, phone 01454 864613 or email email@example.com
- support promoting physical activity in the workplace with the Active in Life programme which encourages physical activity in the work place through one to one appointments, 8 activity sessions, reduced cost gym membership or couch to 5K course
- free taster sessions for employers to promote mental health and emotional wellbeing in the work place provided by Oasis Talk in conjunction with One You South Gloucestershire. Contact Oasis Talk by email: chris.bowles@oasis-talk
Why should local employers be interested?
Mental Health is something we all have and is just as important as our physical health. 1 in 4 British workers are affected by conditions such as depression, anxiety and stress every year. Mental Health is the leading cause of absence in the UK costing an average of £1,003 per employee per year.
The estimated collective annual cost of mental ill health in South Gloucestershire:
- reduced productivity £112 million
- absence from work £56 million
- staff turnover £17.69 million
We also know that the human cost to individuals, families and communities is incalculable.
Creating working cultures that are supportive of the mental health and emotional wellbeing of staff has positive outcomes for everyone.
References for the above statistics can be found in The Economic and Social cost of Mental Ill Health to South Gloucestershire document.
Free E-learning module - This module is designed for employees of organisations to raise awareness of mental health issues in the workplace.
To access this course you will need to sign up for a free learning and development account.
Please follow the instructions as directed. Under ‘organisation area’ select South Gloucestershire Council and select Thriving at work South Gloucestershire from the ‘select department’ drop down list.
Guidance for employers
- Time to change website
- Mental Health At Work website
- ACAS guidance
- Mind guidance for mental health at work
- Wellness Action Plans (WAP) – Guide for Employees
- HSE Stress Management Competency Tool
- Wellness Action Plans (WAP) – Guidance for line managers
- Business in the community – Mental health toolkit for employers
- Mental Health Information and training in South Gloucestershire Council
Mental Health Support and Advice
- Mind website
- Living life to the full….helping you to help yourself
- Rethink Guidance
- Mental Health Alliance
- 5 Ways to Wellbeing posters
- Action for Happiness 10 keys to happier living
- The Samaritans
- Get connected as a carer
- Cruse Bereavement Care
- Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing in South Gloucestershire Council
- South Gloucestershire Drug and Alcohol Information
Tools for identifying and reducing work related stress:
- Preventing stress at work- Competencies
- Work related stress- Managing the causes
- Reducing work related stress- guidance for managers
A tool for managing stress in a team:
A risk assessment tool for assessing pressures at work:
If you are unable to find what you need or just want to ask a specific question email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply via email, phone call or we are happy to come and visit you to discuss.
Please note that, when you contact us, your company’s contact details will be shared with all organisations providing Thriving at Work South Gloucestershire services unless you tell us otherwise.