School clothing grant
South Gloucestershire council provides in exceptional circumstances an essential school clothing grant to help parents on low incomes purchase school clothes for their child.
To receive a school clothing grant you must be in receipt of:
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Universal Credit and not working
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
In addition one of the following conditions must also apply (evidence will be required):
- you have been affected by a fire, theft or flood
- homelessness – for example you are a parent leaving home due to domestic violence
- medical condition – for example your child is affected by one of the following: obesity, extreme growth, enuresis or soiling problem
- bereavement – your child has lost a parent
- conditions of extreme poverty – such as situations where your family are at risk of being made homeless, or affected by high debts etc.
- reconstituted families – for example, where your child returns to live with one parent having lived with the other and financial difficulties arise (your child may arrive with no clothing)
- move of school due to supported transfer (Permanently Excluded Pupil)
How to apply for the school clothing grant
To apply for the grant you will need to complete the school clothing grant application form and provide a copy of your award letter for the benefits you are receiving. Evidence must also be provided for the secondary conditions. All evidence for both criteria must be dated within the last 3 months.
If your child is eligible you will receive £25.00 if they are already in school and £50.00 if they are transferring schools whatever the age. This includes moving from primary to secondary school, or starting school.
Parent or guardians will receive a letter confirming that they have been awarded the grant and a voucher for the appropriate amount will be at the bottom of the letter. They can take the voucher to a shop or school and exchange for the purchase of school clothing. The voucher is valid for 3 months, from the date the claim was awarded.