Benefits information and advice

Page contents

Helping your child to manage their own benefits  

When your child reaches 16, it is expected that they will manage their own benefits claims.

If you think that your child would be unable to do so as they get older, you can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who cannot manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.

You can apply to become someone’s deputy if they ‘lack mental capacity’. This means they cannot make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made. They may still be able to make decisions for themselves at other times.

As a deputy, you will be authorised by the Court of Protection to make decisions on their behalf.

You do not need to be a deputy if you are only supporting your own child to manage their own benefits. You can become an appointee for your child.

You can find more information on website on applying to become an appointee.

Where to get benefit advice

South Gloucestershire council have commissioned a number of agencies which make up the welfare benefits partnership, more details can be found on the council’s website.

Contact”, a national charity for disabled children and their families also provide details on their website listing financial information around disabilities and have a free helpline that you can use.

Turn to Us are a charity that can also offer benefit advice

Appealing a benefits decision

If you find you are not happy with the decision made about any benefits you have applied for, you can appeal a decision about your entitlement to benefits. Further details on how to appeal is displayed on the GOV.UK website How to appeal a benefit decision