Financial support if you have a disability

If you are an adult living with a disability and you are looking for some financial support to help towards your daily living expenses, there are a range of benefits and support that you could be eligible for. Some of these benefits are explained in this article.  

 Page contents:

Household Support Fund

You can find information on our Household Support Fund which provides support for those struggling to buy food, pay energy and water bills.

Disability Living Allowance   

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by other benefits.

If you already get DLA, your claim might end. You’ll get a letter telling you when this will happen and how you can apply for PIP or Adult Disability Payment.

If you’re over 16, you cannot apply for DLA. You can apply for: Personal Independence Payment (PIP) if you live in England or Wales and have not reached State Pension age

Attendance Allowance if you’re State Pension age or older and do not get DLA

Personal Independence payments (PIP)

Personal Independence payments are a benefit for people who may need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term illness or disability. For more information and how to apply visit the GOV.UK  website. It can also help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.  For more information and how to apply visit the GOV.UK website.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people who are State Pension age or over and helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you. There are two different rates and how much you could get depends upon your circumstances. The GOV.UK website gives more details and how to apply.

 Disabled Facilities Grant

If you need to make adaptations to your home to meet the needs of a disabled person, you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant.  For more information on the grant and how to apply see the council’s Disabled Facilities grants webpage.

Carer's Benefits

Carer's Allowance is the main welfare benefit to help carers. You may still be able to claim it, even if you don't think of yourself as a carer. For more information and how to apply visit the Age UK website or the GOV.UK website.

The Carers Support centre provides help and support for carers of all ages.  You can apply for a Cares Emergency card to allow you to get emergency support for the person you care for if you are taken ill and are unable to carry out your caring role.

Blue Badge Scheme 

A Blue Badge can give you exemption from some parking restrictions and access to designated parking spaces. Information about the Blue Badge scheme and how to apply are available on the council’s Blue Badge webpage.

Travel concessions

Disabled person’s bus pass

A concessionary travelcard (Bus Pass) entitles you to free travel on local buses in England. If you require a companion whilst travelling you may be entitled to a companion card. See the council’s Bus Pass webpage for eligibility criteria and details on how to apply.

Disabled person's railcard

allows you and your travelling companion to make big savings on most rail fares in the UK. Visit the Railcard webpage for details on how to apply.

Transport Schemes

If you are disabled, can't use ordinary public transport, and don't have access to a car, there are community transport services you may be able to use and also the dial-a-ride scheme.  

Shop mobility schemes 

This scheme is designed to help people shop in town centre’s by lending wheelchairs and scooters. There is a Shop mobility scheme  available in Yate Town Centre.

Coach Travel

National Express coach travel offers a Disabled Coach card, which gives you a third off your travel throughout the year. It costs £12.50 a year and is available for people with a disability.  There is no national concessionary scheme at present, but you can ask the coach operator if they offer any discounts.

Further information about travel concessions for disabled adults can be found on the Age UK website.

Other benefits

Information on other benefits available and how to apply for them can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Further information

We have information in our SEND Local Offer about disability benefits for young people aged 16 and over.

Citizens Advice - (formerly known as the Citizens Advice Bureau or CAB) offers free, independent and confidential advice about:

  • Benefits
  • Employment
  • Debt and money issues
  • Consumer advice
  • Health matters.

Visit the Citizens Advice website for further information and to find your nearest Citizen’s Advice.

Money Advice Service

The Money advice service provides free and impartial advice across many areas such as debt, mortgages and budgeting.  For more information visit the Money Advice Service website.

If you would like help to find independent financial advice this information can be found on the council's webpage.