Healthy living pharmacies
Information about local health care services can be found on the Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Integrated Care Board's website.
Your local pharmacist (chemist) is your healthcare expert on the high street. Pharmacists provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common conditions and will be able to help you decide if you need to see a GP or other health service.
No appointment is needed, and many have separate consulting rooms for completely confidential advice.
- dispense medicine on prescription
- dispense repeat prescriptions without the need to visit your GP
- give advice on treating common ailments like coughs and colds
- help you manage long-term conditions such as diabetes and asthma
- give advice on medication, including if you're taking medicine for lots of different conditions
- give advice on staying healthy
- give sexual health and contraception advice
- provide stop smoking services
- provide treatments for common ailments like head lice and athlete's foot.
Many also offer free emergency contraception including the morning after pill.
More information can be found on the Integrated Care Board's website.
Your local GP practice provides a wide range of health services, including medical advice, vaccinations, examinations and treatment, prescriptions for medicines, referrals to other health services and social services.
More information can be found on the ICB website: About GP surgeries and how they can help.
If you need medical help urgently but it's not a life-threatening emergency, contact NHS 111 first rather than going straight to A&E.
NHS 111 will help you right away and direct you to the best service for your needs. If needed, a healthcare professional will call you for a telephone consultation.
NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day. You can access it:
If you or a loved one has a life-threatening illness or injury, you should dial 999 right away.
For other non-urgent conditions, contact your GP as normal or speak to your pharmacist.
More information can be found on the ICB website.
Further information about dentists, opticians, minor injury services and A&E can also be found on the CCG website: NHS Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire ICB.