Support services and help at home

Page contents:

Types of support at home available and how to find it

There are agencies and companies who can provide support with home maintenance tasks, housework, laundry and gardening.  You can find someone to mow your lawn or vacuum your home and these services can be either a one off or regular service. 

If you have access to the internet, either at home or through your local library for free,  you can search for a service provider or ask someone to help you do this.   

You can also get help to find a service provider by contacting Age UK or visit your local shops and library as they may have details of companies that offer these services.  

Wellaware is a service that provides information on organisations, support groups, community groups, events and activities that can help improve your health and wellbeing in Bristol and South Gloucestershire.   This includes organisations that help with home maintenance, gardening, housework and laundry. 

The council’s Handy Van service can do minor home maintenance tasks and also help in the garden.  

Trust a Trader includes details of trade people living in your local area offering services such as home maintenance tasks.  

If you find putting out your rubbish bin and recycling boxes difficult, the council can arrange help with this.  Details are available at recycling and rubbish – special circumstances.

We Care Home Improvements are a not-for-profit organisation who provide help to improve the homes of older people and those with disabilities. Their aim is for people to live comfortably and independently at home for as long as they choose. 

Your local Fire and Rescue service can make a free home visit to advise you on fire safety. You can make an appointment via their website Fire and Rescue – make an appointment.

How much this support will cost 

The cost of support will vary depending upon what sort of support you need.  There are agencies that provide home care and household support and their charges will vary.  You can find details of agencies  on the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website.

If you need maintenance work done in your home or garden it is always advisable to get quotes for the cost before agreeing for the work to be done. Trust a Trader  includes details of trade people living in your local area offering services such as home maintenance tasks.  

You could be eligible for attendance allowance which is financial support that you can use to help pay for any services or work that you need. 

What happens if you feel you can no longer maintain your home or garden 

If looking after your home and garden is difficult you can contact the council’s adult duty desk on 01454 868007 to arrange a visit from a social worker. They can discuss with you the difficulties you are experiencing and let you know what support is available. 

If you are worried that you or somebody else may be being harmed or is at risk of harm, read the article What to do if you are concerned about someone else's safety.

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.