Child weight management - Reach
In light of the national guidance concerning coronavirus, the Reach service will be suspended from Wednesday 18 March 2020 and all upcoming courses have been cancelled.
This webpage will be kept updated and resources added that may be helpful for families. Visit the South Gloucestershire Council Coronavirus webpage (in the “external links” section of this page” for the latest information and advice regarding coronavirus.
Reach is a free and fun programme for families with children and young people aged 4-16 years who are above a healthy weight.
- What is the Reach programme
- Reach group programme
- Reach 1:1 sessions
- For health practitioners - raising the issues of weight training
Reach focuses on promoting the health and wellbeing of children and young people by:
- increasing physical activity
- boosting mental health and wellbeing
- improving nutritional intake
- helping them to reduce their Body Mass Index (BMI)
Two Reach groups are available: 4-11 years and 11+ years. The sessions are 1-1.5 hours long and usually run for 10 weeks at a leisure centre or other community setting (maximum 12 families per group).
It is essential that at least one parent or carer attends a group with the child or young person and the whole family are invited and encouraged to join in.
Reach topics include:
- fun and interactive activities to boost confidence and wellbeing
- a weekly physical activity session with lots of games, movement and fun
- a cooking session to prepare healthy snacks
- ideas to improve sleep and bedtime routines
- a focus on food groups, healthy eating and portion sizes
- how to use nutrition labels when shopping
Reach 1:1 sessions:
- are for all ages
- tailored to the family's needs
- are up to one hour long
- include content based on the group sessions
- usually take place once a week
- are offered, on average, for six weeks
This two hour workshop is suitable for practitioners working with children, young people and families. This course aims to build confidence in raising the issue of weight with families.
A brief and appropriate conversation can be an importanct first step towards positive wellbeing. To find out more or to book a place see our flyer.
Please email email@example.com with any enquiries.