Primary school admissions
- Primary school admissions
- Note for parents applying for voluntary aided CofE schools
- Information following National Offer Day
- South Gloucestershire Allocation statements and appeal forms
- Academies and voluntary aided schools Allocation statements and appeal forms
- Further information
If your child was born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017, you must apply for them to start primary school in September 2021. This is a very important decision and it is important that you read the South Gloucestershire Primary school admission guide before you apply. Applications for primary school admission must be submitted no later than 15 January 2021.
South Gloucestershire Council provide impartial advice, support, guidance and information about choosing a primary school. Remember there is no substitute for visiting the school(s) that you are considering. We suggest that you visit potential schools before making your preferences, as there are many things to consider such as travel arrangements. You can find your nearest primary schools on our schools directory. Please note, the distance shown is only intended as a guide and the actual distance used to process your application is measured in a direct line between the address point of the child’s home and a central point within the main school buildings using the Local Authority’s computerised mapping system.
Once you have read the primary school admission guide, you can either apply online or download and print the form. For more information about the online process please read the Apply online for a school place page.
It is important that you submit your application on time. Applications received after the closing date of the 15 January 2021 will only be looked at after the national offer day, which is the 16 April 2021.
Please note that some voluntary aided Church of England schools are seeking a variation in their admission arrangements as published. This is to take account of the closure of places of worship during the Covid 19 ‘lockdown’ and the potential effect on the criteria set out in those arrangements.
Such variations require the approval of the Schools Adjudicator which is currently awaited. The position will be updated when the Adjudicator gives a decision.
Further information is available from the schools concerned:
Holy Trinity CE/Methodist Primary
St Mary’s CE VA Primary, Thornbury
St Mary’s CE Primary, Yate
Accepting the offered place
If you applied online, you should visit the admissions portal and update your application to accept either:
- your highest rank preference, if you have been offered it
- a lower rank preference or alternative offer if you were refused a place at your highest rank preference
If you applied by email or by post, you should receive a letter in the post with a response form. You may send your response to AdmissionsAndTransport@southglos.gov.uk
Preferred school not offered
If you have not been offered your preferred school(s), you can either:
- accept the offer you have been given
- remain on a waiting list for any vacancies which may occur at your preferred school(s) until end December 2021
- change your preference(s) or indicate a change of circumstances
- appeal for your preferred school(s)
Allocation statements are available to show how school places were allocated where the school was oversubscribed and why it was not possible to offer places to all children who applied. Statements and appeal forms for schools located in South Gloucestershire are shown in the link below. Schools are listed alphabetically in either the South Gloucestershire admission authority section or Academies and Voluntary Aided school section.
Before submitting an appeal please also read the guidance on the schools appeals page.
If you have been refused a place at a school in another local authority, you will need to contact that local authority directly.
Allocation statement for individual schools:
- Alexander Hosea Primary
- Beacon Rise Primary
- Blackhorse Primary
- Broadway Infant
- Bromley Heath Infant
- Cherry Garden Primary
- Christ Church Infant (Downend)
- Crossways Infant
- Emerson's Green Primary
- Frenchay Primary
- Hambrook Primary
- Iron Acton Primary
- King's Forest Primary
- Longwell Green Primary
- Mangotsfield Primary
- Manorbrook Primary
- North Road Primary
- Old Sodbury Primary
- Redfield edge Primary
- St Barnabas Primary
- St Helen's Primary
- St John's Mead Primary
- St Michael's Primary (Stoke Gifford)
- St Stephen's Infant
- Wellesley Primary
Allocation statement for individual schools
- Bradley Stoke Primary and appeal form
- Charborough Road Primary and appeal form
- Charfield Primary and appeal form
- Charlton Wood Primary Academy and appeal form
- Filton Hill Primary and appeal form
- Lyde Green Primary and appeal form
- St Mary's Primary (Thornbury)
- St Mary's Primary (Yate)
- Wallscourt Farm Academy and appeal form
You can contact the Admissions and Transport Team, South Gloucestershire Council for further information on any of the above.