Housing support

There are many things to consider when deciding where to live. This article will explain what housing support is available to an individual or family with specific needs. 

Page contents:

Financial support

For information and advice on financial support available to you, see our articles on financial support for families on low incomes and financial support if you have a disability.

Supported living

Supported living is where a person with a disability gets the support they need to live in a home they own or rent.  You may live on your own or share with others. The support you will receive depends on your assessed needs.  To find out if you are eligible for this type of support, a social worker will need to carry out an assessment. You can read more about how South Gloucestershire Council assess eligible care and support needs here.

If you are aged 18-25 and have special educational needs and/or disabilities, you can read our SEND Local Offer article information on support available to live in your own place.

If you have learning disabilities or care for someone who does, you may find the My Own Home: a guide to housing for people with learning disabilities Easy Read document useful. 

The Shared Lives scheme

The Shared Lives scheme offers a community based alternative to other forms of care for people that need support.  Shared lives can help you to find a new home or place to stay.  Individuals and families in the local community let you live in their home, and give you the support that you need to live the life that you would like to. 

Shared Lives carers can help you with:  

  • support during the day 
  • somewhere to stay for a short break 
  • a place to go for a short time to learn some independent living skills 
  • a permanent home  

See our article if you feel you would benefit from the Shared Lives scheme.

Home care

If you find personal care or practical daily tasks such as domestic chores difficult because of illness or mobility issues, home care can help.

Home care can also help you increase your level of independence with everyday tasks at home meaning that you can eventually do these tasks by yourself. For more information see our article on Home care


If you or someone you know is at risk of being homeless, see our article for homelessness advice and support.

Independent advice and guidance


Shelter campaign on homelessness and provide housing advice.  You can contact their expert housing advisers by phone, online or at one of their local advice centres. 

Urgent helpline number: 0808 800 4444.

Open every day of the year:

  •   8am - 8pm on weekdays
  •   9am - 5pm on weekends  

You should use this line if:

  • you have nowhere to sleep, or might be homeless soon
  • you have somewhere to sleep, but nowhere to call home
  • you are/could be at risk of harm

For more information on how to contact Shelter, as well as housing advice and contact details for other services and organisations which may be able to help you see Shelter’s website.

Housing Matters

Housing Matters - advice, support and advocacy in Bristol are a community-based housing advice service.  They offer free, independent, and confidential advice on housing-related matters to anyone in need in Bristol and the surrounding area.

Their contact details are: