Financial help with travel and getting around

This section covers some of the financial schemes that you and your child may be entitled to if they have a disability.

Motability scheme

Your child may be eligible for a mobility vehicle. The Motability scheme can help you lease a car if your child is aged 3 or over and is entitled to either the: higher rate of the mobility component of DLA or with the enhanced mobility component of PIP. Find out more about the help available and eligibility

Diamond Travelcard 

If you are of qualifying age, or have an eligible disability and live in England, you can apply for a bus pass providing free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England.

Disabled Persons railcard 

The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult. They have a eligibility criteria that be read on their website.

Blue Badge scheme 

The blue badge scheme is for people with certain mobility issues or some hidden disabilities. It allows blue badge holders to park closer to where they need to go.

School travel assistance

This is the assistance that your child may get in order to attend school or college. There is an eligibility criteria to determine whether you will get that support. You can find out more about school travel assistance in this article.