Higher education

In year 12 and 13 you will need to decide whether to you want to continue with your education and obtain further qualifications, look at training alternatives such as higher-level apprenticeships or decide to look for a job.  Here we show what you need to consider if you decide to continue into higher education/University.

Page contents:

Find out about higher education   

If you choose to go to university to continue your education, your school or college should give you advice about which subjects to study in order to prepare for a degree course and how to apply for university. 

You can leave home to go to a university, attend a local university or attend a college that offers degree courses.  

The University and Colleges Admission Services (UCAS) website and Careerpilot website provides plenty of information including choosing a course, where to study, student finance and how to apply. 

UCAS also provides information on further education options and other alternatives to universities, if you decide university is not for you. 

If you know where you would like to study you could also look at the University websites under disability services or mental health support.    

Choosing where to study and applying for a place  

The University and Colleges Admission Services (UCAS) website will help you consider factors such as: 

It is recommended that you visit different colleges and/or universities on their open days and ask questions about the subject you would like to study.  

Some college and university applications are made directly whilst others need to be made via the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS) website so check the college or university prospectus for application information.  

Admissions procedures will differ depending on the setting and the course. You may be asked to sit exams or attend interviews. 

Before deciding where to apply, you should also think about the location of the campus and whether you wish to travel there from home or live nearby.  


Student finance  

You may be entitled to student finance to help you with your studies.  To find out if you are eligible follow the step by step guide in student finance on the gov.uk website.

You can watch a video that explains how to apply for student finance.

Further information is also available on the careers pilot website about funding your place at university as well as general information on bursaries and widening participation for students.


Higher education for young adults with a disability     

If you have a disability you will be protected under the Equality Act 2010.  You can find more information about the act on the legislation.gov.uk website.  Colleges and universities must make reasonable adjustments to their application procedure to make it more accessible for students with a disability.  

You can discuss any reasonable adjustments you may need with the college’s or university’s disability adviser.  This can include alternative exam or assessment arrangements, support with social opportunities or consideration of wheelchair access. You can find further information about reasonable adjustments on the disability rights UK website or also contact the disability rights UK helpline

If you have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) you will no longer get the support detailed in the plan.  The EHCP will cease as the plan is not continued into higher education (including degree courses in colleges).  You can apply for a disabled student’s allowance (DSA) to cover the cost of extra support or adaptations you need.  This is available to students with mental health problems, long term illnesses or disabilities.  You can find out more information about DSAs on the gov.uk website

You can watch a video that explains the disability student allowance   

It is important you do your research and find out what Universities can offer. 

If you know what Universities you would like to visit have a look at their websites for information about how they support students with disabilities.     

Find local universities and colleges offering higher education courses  

The following universities are close to South Gloucestershire and you can find further information on their websites or in our directory:   

Colleges of further education can also offer degree courses. South Gloucestershire and Stroud (SGS) College offer degree courses, for more information visit the South Gloucestershire and Stroud college website.  

Wiltshire College & University Centre offers a range of full-time and part-time university-level courses as well as Higher and degree level apprenticeships  

search our directory for university-level courses