Missing persons

In all missing persons cases it is advised that you first try to establish contact with the person and ascertain where they are and actively look for them. If you continue to be concerned that they are missing contact the police and file a missing person’s report, listen to the police advice given and act accordingly.‚Äč If you wish to report a missing person to the police call 101. 

For professionals in relation to children missing from home, care or school further information to support them in their work can be found on the South Gloucestershire Children’s Partnership website.

When to report a missing person

Every situation is different and there are no set rules about when someone should be considered missing. If in doubt about whether to formally report a missing person contact the police who will discuss this with the parents, carers or concerned adults and advise about what to do.

The police are frequent partners of the council in managing ‘missing’ episodes and it is, therefore, important that staff in both agencies work together.