Sexual health information for young people

 For information about our specialist sexual health service provider’s opening times visit the Unity Sexual Health website.

Sexual health is a state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being.   It requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free from coercion, discrimination and violence.

Page contents

Free and confidential specialist sexual health services   

Unity Sexual Health

Unity Sexual Health is the specialist sexual health service provider covering all areas of South Gloucestershire, Bristol and North Somerset. They provide free and confidential sexual health services for all ages and sexualities and this includes young people’s clinics for under 25s.

To make an appointment with Unity Sexual Health or to speak to someone for advice:

The Unity Sexual Health website provides details of when the telephone lines and clinics are open.

Brook as part of the Unity Sexual Health Service, focus on providing free and confidential sexual health treatment, information and advice for young people aged 13 – 19 and have a clinic in Bristol

Pregnancy concerns and options

If you think you might be pregnant, you will need to do a pregnancy test following the guidance on when to do the test for a reliable negative result.

You can buy pregnancy test kits at pharmacies, supermarkets or online. 

For help to do a pregnancy test:

If you have had a positive pregnancy test, information is available about your pregnancy options and support available on the Unity Sexual Health website.  You may wish to talk to your family or friends for support.    

If you would like advice about pregnancy options, you can talk to a health professional confidentially at the Pregnancy Advisory service on 0345 872 5435 (7am-8pm daily). You can also complete an online booking form available from the Unity Sexual Health pregnancy options webpage to arrange to talk to someone.

Emergency contraception 

If you have had unprotected sex (no condom or contraception used) or a contraceptive failure (burst condom, missed pills, etc.) and you want to try to stop pregnancy after unprotected sex you will need to use emergency contraception as soon as possible.  It must be within 5 days.

  • Emergency hormonal contraception should be taken as soon as possible after unprotected sex to reduce the risk of becoming pregnant and can be taken up to 5 days after. 
  • You can ask about the option for the Emergency Copper Coil (IDU), it is the most effective method of emergency contraception.  it can be fitted up to 5 days after unprotected sex OR up to 5 days after the earliest time you produce an egg (ovulation during menstrual cycle).
  • If the unprotected sex was more than 5 days ago and you want to try and reduce your risk of becoming pregnant immediately contact Unity Sexual Health on 0117 342 6900 or your GP to discuss.  You might still be able to have an Emergency Copper Coil (IDU) fitted to prevent pregnancy. 

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)

STIs can be passed from one person to another through vaginal, oral and anal sex. You are most at risk if you have had sex without a condom, but it is still possible to get an infection when a condom has been used. It is a good idea to get tested following sex with any new partner(s).  Many STIs have no symptoms.  

  • If you have had unprotected sex (sex without a condom), or sex with a new partner, and have concerns about possible STI symptoms or are under 16, visit the Unity Sexual Health website or call them on  0117 342 6900 to discuss your situation and arrange to be tested. 
  • If you have no symptoms, and are aged 16 or over, you can order a free test kit online which is provided confidentially by Unity Sexual Health and you can also get STI test kits from the Unity Sexual Health vending machines in 4 locations across Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire
  • You can ask your GP surgery if they have STI test kits available.

Where else can I access sexual health information and services?

GP surgery – they can provide confidential information about sexual health, pregnancy, and abortion and also provide contraception and/or testing/ treatment for STIs. You can book your own appointment and attend alone if you wish.   

School Nurse - you can talk confidentially at their drop-in clinics at secondary schools and can contact them using the confidential Chat Health Service - text 07312 263093  (open Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm and charged at your usual rate). 

The National Sexual Health Helpline

If you would like to confidentially talk to someone about your sexual health you can call the national sexual health helpline free on:

  • Phone 0300 123 7123. This helpline is open from 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 11am – 4pm Saturday and Sunday. 

Free condoms

C.Card image

South Gloucestershire operates a free condom distribution scheme called C.Card. You can collect free condoms from places that display this logo, which show that they’re part of the scheme. 

The South Gloucestershire C.Card scheme is a confidential service for those aged 13 to 24 to get access to free condoms and lubricant, information about local sexual health services and support from a trained worker. The scheme is available to young people of all genders and sexualities and you don’t have to be sexually active to join the scheme – it is better to be prepared if you are thinking about having sex. 

To use the scheme you first need to register for a C.Card.  This involves a confidential appointment with a trained worker who will:

  • explain the scheme and how to use condoms safely
  • answer any questions you might have
  • give you free condoms and sachets of lubrication.  Also available are internal condoms or dams
  • give you a C.Card that is a small plastic keyring card that has a unique number on it 

Places in South Gloucestershire that provide the C.Card scheme include:  

Secondary Schools and Sixth Forms    

The C.Card is available in secondary schools via the weekly school nurse drop-in clinic (ask your school for details of the day/time) or ask a school staff member.  Some secondary schools and sixth forms offer C.Card via school staff (ask a school staff member).

The School Nurse Chat Health Service can support you with the C.Card, relationships and sexual health.  This confidential service is open Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm. Send a text message to 07312 263093 for confidential advice and support and to chat with a School Nurse.  

South Gloucestershire & Stroud (SGS) College

Students enrolled with SGS College can access the C.Card through the college’s Wellbeing Service.  Contact details for the Wellbeing Service at each SGS College campus are available on the SGS college website

Specialist College (SEND)

Students enrolled with Oakwood Specialist College in Yate can access C.Card through the college's staff.  Speak to a teacher to ask about C.Card.

  • Oakwood Specialist College, Yate Campus, Fromforde House, Church Road, Yate, BS37 5JB

GP surgeries

Some GP surgeries in South Gloucestershire provide registration to the C.Card scheme, usually during booked appointments for contraception or other sexual health care. Please ask at your GP surgery if they currently offer the C.Card. The following have C.Card available for their registered patients:

  • Courtside Surgery, Yate
  • Stoke Gifford and Conygre Medical Centre
  • West Walk Surgery, Yate
  • Coalpit Heath Surgery, Coalpit Heath

Local Sexual Health Clinics

Some of the Unity Sexual Health clinics have C.Card available, please check before you travel to a clinic.  This includes:

  • Unity Sexual Health Young People's Clinic at Concord Medical Centre
    Wednesdays 3pm - 5.30pm at Braydon Avenue, Little Stoke, BS34 6BQ

Youth Centres/Youth Groups

The following youth services in South Gloucestershire offer the C.Card.  Please check which youth sessions will have the C.Card on offer. You can find contact details on the relevant youth service webpages: 

Organisations supporting young people who are homeless, leaving care or at risk of homelessness 

  • 1625 Independent People drop-in at the Patchway office on Tuesdays and Thursdays 2:00pm - 4.30pm at 23 The Parade, Patchway, BS34 5LP.  C card registration and pick up of free condoms available.   

Services supporting young people

If you receive support from any of these services in South Gloucestershire, you an ask them about C.Card.  They only offer C.Card to the young people they directly support, usually during 1:1 sessions.

  • Young People's Drug and Alcohol Service (YPDAS)
  • YPS (Young People's Support) Team


Sex should be enjoyable and must always be agreed to by everyone involved. Giving consent means saying 'yes' and with the freedom and capacity to make that choice, without being forced and without being concerned or worried about what will happen if you say ‘No’.

To find out more about consenting to sex, visit:

Sexual violence and abuse

Sexual violence is a term that is used to describe any sexual activity that happened without consent.   There are lots of different types of sexual violence, including rape, sexual assault and sexual abuse.  Anyone can experience sexual violence.   If you have experienced any kind of sexual violence, it was not your fault and you are in no way to blame.  Help and support is available.    

Getting help if you have experienced sexual violence such as sexual assault or rape

If you have experienced any sexual violence such as sexual assault or rape, there are people who can provide support and advice. Please remember that whatever your circumstances, what has happened was not your fault and help is available. 

  • If you or someone else is in immediate danger, call the police on 999.
  • Survivor Pathway is an online resource for anyone wanting to know more about specialist sexual violence support services in the South West.
  • You can also find an extensive list of places to go to for help on our Domestic Abuse webpage.

These free and confidential local services listed below can help and support you. You don’t need to have reported the incident to the Police to use these services.

Safelink support for victims of sexual assault or rape

Safelink provide independent support for anyone (women, men, and children) who has been the victim of rape and sexual abuse across the whole of Avon and Somerset area including South Gloucestershire.  You do NOT have to report to the police to access this service.  

Somerset & Avon Rape & Sexual Abuse Support (SARSAS)

SARSAS provides confidential support to people of all genders age 13+ in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Bath & NE Somerset, North Somerset and Somerset, who have experienced rape or any kind of sexual assault or abuse at any time in their lives.  To find out more about this service:

  • Phone: 0808 801 0456 this helpline is usually open Mondays & Fridays 11am – 2pm and Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 6pm – 8pm. For adults and young people age 13+ of all genders.
  • Website:
  • Online chat: a chat box will appear on the website during online chat opening times.
  • Email:
  • SARSAS self-help guides for victims-survivors and friends and families. Available in different languages and easy read formats.

Kinergy counselling service support for survivors of sexual abuse or rape

Kinergy is a registered charity offering specialist trauma informed counselling, group therapy and a support group to people of all genders age 18+, who have experienced any form of sexual abuse or sexual violence during their life. Services are offered to anyone who lives in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, BANES and North Somerset. 

To find out more about these services you can contact Kinergy:

The Bridge

The Bridge is a confidential specialist service for anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted.  The service is for adults and children/young people of all genders.

The Bridge can be accessed 24/7, 365 days a year.

They can offer emotional and psychological support, medical care, practical help, information about reporting to the police, and counselling.  Information and support is also available if someone you care about has been affected by rape or sexual assault.  The service is Bristol-based but also supports people living in South Gloucestershire.