Adaptations to your home

Installing adaptations or equipment can help you to stay well and continue to live independently, as well as reduce the risk of falls in and around the home.

Page contents:

How to help yourself

There are different types of equipment and daily living aids you can purchase yourself.  You can also arrange for adaptations to be made to your home with a builder of your choice without a health and social care assessment. 

The Disabled Living Foundation has useful information, advice and guidance to help you to make informed decisions about the best solutions for you.

See examples of adaptations and equipment

South Gloucestershire Council have an adapted house called the Celestine Home Adaptations Centre. You can make an appointment to visit and try out different adaptations and equipment. The team at the Celestine Centre can help you decide if adaptations are required and what specific equipment would best meet your needs.

To make an appointment email or call 01454 868126.

Request an assessment

If you or a member of your family are having difficulty getting around your home you can request an occupational therapy assessment. The occupational therapist will assess your needs and consider your circumstances.  They will suggest different techniques, specific equipment or adaptations you can make to your home. 

To refer yourself to occupational therapy call Adult Care on 01454 868007 between 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30 – 4.30pm Friday.

To refer your child call Children’s (0-25) occupational therapy service on 01454 866000 between 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30 – 4.30pm Friday.

Cost of adaptations and equipment

The cost will depend on the type of adaptation or equipment, this will be explained at your assessment.

If you have a disability and need to make changes to your home, you may be eligible for a grant from the council to help fund the cost.  

You can find out more information on our Disabled Facilities Grants page.