How to get independent financial advice

Dealing with finances can often be a daunting task, but there are a number of services and organisations who can help and support you.

South Gloucestershire Council provide free, independent debt advice via our One Stop Shops and there are also a number of other organisations who can provide support.

Local advice and support

South Gloucestershire Council work together with various advice agencies to provide free, confidential and independent advice. Anyone can ask for advice from the South Gloucestershire Advice Service by attending one of their drop-in sessions. These are run at community venues across South Gloucestershire.

Other organisations that provide support include:

South Gloucestershire Citizens Advice Yate Telephone:0808 278 7947

Talking Money provide free independent debt advice, energy advice and financial education. They hold advice sessions on a first-come-first-served basis at Kingswood and Yate One Stop Shops. Telephone: 0800 121 4511 or 0117 954 3990 

New Start Debt Advice (Thornbury) Telephone: 0800 028 4170

North Bristol Advice Centre Telephone: 0117 9515751 

National advice and support

The following national organisations offer advice and support:

The Money Advice Service are a national organisation set up by the government providing free and impartial money advice. They offer:

  • advice and guidance to help improve your finances
  • tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead
  • support over the phone and online, including confidential help with managing debt

The Money Advice Service also have information about choosing a financial advisor, including what questions to ask them, and a guide to their fees.

National Debtline provide free advice on dealing with debt. They can discuss your situation and help find solutions. There are guides, fact sheets, budgeting tools and sample letters to help you write to your creditors. You can also get debt advice by using their webchat service, contacting them by email or by calling their helpline.

Money Saving Expert has lots of information and advice about budgeting and money management.

StepChange provide a comprehensive debt advice service to help people with debt problems take back control of their finances and their lives.

Citizen’s Advice offer free confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects including money, finances and debt. You can contact them by telephone, online, or attend a drop-in session.

Christians against poverty Telephone: 0800 328 0006

Money worries affecting your health

The NHS website has advice on how to cope with money worries, including top tips for coping with feeling low or anxiety caused by financial stress.

Further information

You can find out more about any financial benefits you may be entitled to in our benefits articles.

There is also information available in our council website articles on paying for adult care and support costs.

If you have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) and would find information and advice about having a bank account, cards, etc useful, see the SCOPE website.

Dosh supports people with a learning disability to be able to manage their money.

If you are worried that you or somebody else may be being abused or is at risk of financial abuse, read the article What to do if you are concerned about someone else's safety.